Follow @PralinesCrunchs

Monday, February 3, 2014

First Day and New Books

Today was my first day at my new firm.  To start the day right, I baked Trader Joe's cinnamon rolls for breakfast.  Alexis was beyond excited:  "It's like having candy for breakfast!!"  I couldn't agree more, which is why we have cinnamon rolls for breakfast once a year at most.   At breakfast, Alexis also decided to clarify the meaning of the word "wise."  When Bill explained to her what it meant, Alexis exclaimed in bewilderment:  "Oh!  I didn't know that!  Yesterday, I accidentally called Nana 'wise,' because I thought it meant 'old'!!"  I'm glad Nana wasn't anywhere near to hear that.

Everyone at the office was so nice and welcoming on my first day.  I was even treated to a lunch out.  We went to BRGR, where I typically order a burger and, occasionally, if I feel adventurous, a portabella sandwich, but today I was steered toward amazing chicken tacos, which I wouldn't have ever noticed on my own.  Ordering food at BRGR will never be the same.  

Since I now work on a reduced schedule, it was strange leaving the office soon after lunch and when everyone else was still working.   I think this part will take some getting used to.  In addition to being a part-time office worker, I am now a full-time school line pick-up driver.  It takes about an hour to collect the kids from two schools and get home.  Emily is now having her piano lesson and there is nothing like some classical music to accompany the household chores, which I now get to do when it's still light out.  (Yes, I can get happy over the strangest things.)

I also came home today to yet another Amazon package.  As Bill likes to sing:  "Stuuuff keeps arriiiviiing in the mail!"  Um, yes, it does keep arriving, since I have a serious book habit and also generally source everything, other than perishable groceries, from Amazon.   This time, the wonderful UPS driver dropped off the long-anticipated book by Michelle Tam and Henry Fong, Nom Nom Paleo:  Food for Humans, which was just released in December.  I've been following Ms. Tam's blog, Nom Nom Paleo, for some time now.  As the title suggests, the book contains Paleo recipes and know-how.  I've been reading books on Paleo for more than a year now and the lifestyle sounds appealing, but where would the coffee concoctions, chocolate croissants, and cinnamon rolls fit in?  Still, I can't get enough, so I am looking forward to digging into this book once the kids are in bed.

Also, yesterday I bought for my Kindle Natalia Rose's book, Forever Beautiful:  The Age-Defying Detox Plan.   I've read all of Ms. Rose's prior books and, not having opened this new book yet, I know that it will contain an extreme vegan plan.  Yes, I know that I look confused, but I just cannot stop reading anything and everything on the subject of nutrition and its influence on our health, longevity, and quality of life.  

Vegans and Paleoists are at complete odds (other than everyone seems to like their vegetables), but both philosophies make sense to me, so can't we just all get along?  I do think that combining elements of both and not going to any extremes is what works for me.   Minus the cinnamon rolls.  Those truly need to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment