Follow @PralinesCrunchs

Thursday, February 20, 2014

Double Chocolate Espresso Cookies

I've been flirting with Paleo for some time now.   I eat Paleo when it suits me, that is until I see something with sugar.   I then forget about my cavewoman aspirations and all the ancestral eating wisdom and dive right in.  So I was excited to try this cookie recipe from the Primal Cravings cookbook.

Double Chocolate Espresso Cookies
The book they came from

Ingredients

12 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup coconut sugar
1 egg
1 egg yolk
1/3 tsp salt
2 tbsp finely ground coffee
3/4 cup tapioca flour
1/4 cup coconut flour
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup chocolate chips

Directions

1.   Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Line a baking sheet with a silicone pat or parchment paper.
2.   Whisk together salt, coffee grounds, tapioca flour, coconut flour, cocoa powder, and baking soda in a large bowl.   Set aside
3.   Beat butter and sugar with an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment for about 2 minutes, until fluffy.  Then beat in the egg and egg yolk, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
4.   Turn the mixer down to low and slowly add the dry ingredients until combined.  Fold in the chocolate chips
5.   Drop by rounded tablespoon (I used an ice cream scoop) at least 2 inches apart on baking sheet.
6.   Bake for 12 to 15 minutes (it took me about 20 minutes, actually).  Cool on sheet before removing.

Yes, this recipe requires all sorts of specialty ingredients, which I was able to source from the Sprouts market.  Apparently, if you visit it at 7:30 in the morning on a Sunday, you have a decent chance of being only the fourth car in the parking lot, which will allow you to browse the less-well-known aisles without being run over by the other shoppers.  (I am really waiting for the local enthusiasm for this new market to quiet down a bit.  Until then, no sleeping in for me on Sundays.  (Just (almost) kidding)).
The dry ingredients.  The kids really complained about the coffee, but each ate a cookie anyway.  I think the coffee grounds can be skipped or diminished, with similar results. 
The coconut sugar has an amazing smell and taste.  Alexis became a huge fan at first lick.
Mixing the wet ingredients.  
Don't forget to employ some child labor.
After all, kids love working for cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment