Follow @PralinesCrunchs

Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Millionaire's Shortbread

Since I don't have much time to spend in the kitchen but still like to cook and bake, I have a big appreciation for quick and simple recipes.  Of course, they must be delicious.   Claire Robinson's 5-ingredient ideas take the prize in that category.  I enjoyed her show and bought her 5 Ingredient Fix book as soon as it came out.   Her recipes are easy to execute and require only five ingredients each, not counting what she calls "free" ingredients:  water, salt, and pepper.  

One recipe from this book that I have on repeat in my kitchen is the Millionaire's Shortbread.   You can also find this recipe here on foodnetwork.com   The shortbread itself requires only butter, sugar, flour, and salt.

I made it this weekend again, omitting the caramel layer this time.  When I do add caramel, I usually just buy dulche de leche in a can and spread it over the warm shortbread, then add melted chocolate on top.   And, since I can never simply follow a recipe without adding something, I also like to add a dusting of cashew, walnut, or hazelnut on top, with the help of a microplane grater.   When this shortbread's warm, it goes well with ice cream.









No comments:

Post a Comment